The key mandate of the Access to Knowledge project at CIS (CIS-A2K) is to work towards catalysing the growth of the open knowledge movement in south Asia and in Indic languages. From September 2012, CIS has been actively involved in growing the open knowledge movement in India through a grant received from the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). The current focus of the CIS-A2K team spans over 5 language areas (Kannada, Konkani, Marathi, Odia, and Telugu), 2 community strengthening initiatives, and 6 stand-alone Wikimedia projects.
The mission of CIS-A2K is to catalyze the growth of open knowledge movement in South Asia and in Indic languages. Within the Wikimedia universe CIS-A2K specifically strives to further grow the Indic and English Wikimedia projects and communities by:
- supporting and serving the Indian Wikimedia communities in all possible ways;
- building institutional partnerships;
- bringing more content under free license;
- designing and executing projects with community participation;
- strengthening the Wikimedia volunteers; and
- fostering and enabling an appropriate legal and technological ecosystem.
Work plans and other programme documents can be accessed here:
- Work Plan July 2014 - June 2015
- Work Plan April 2013 - June 2014
- Work Plan 2012 - 2013
- Work Plan 2011 - 2012
- Details of Programs run on English and Indian language Wikipedias since 2011
- Access To Knowledge Announcement and FAQ - 30 July 2012
Activities and Feedback
- Workshops, Meetups, Edit-a-thons and other Events
- Blog Entries
- Newsletters, Reports, and Bulletins
- Ongoing Proof-reading Effort by ALC Student Wikimedians in Telugu Wikisource — by Pavan Santosh & Ting-Yi Chang — last modified Dec 30, 2016 11:00 AM
- Student Wikimedians at Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada formatted and proof-read more than 1,900 folios in Telugu Wikisource during the last few weeks of November (2016). Each day, a group of twenty students uses the lab facility provided by the college after regular classes to make necessary formatting changes and fix spelling mistakes in the folios of books available in Telugu Wikisource. Till date, the student Wikipedians have proofread eight books.
- Wikipedia Event in Mangalore — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:43 PM
- The article was published by Vijaya Karnataka on December 18, 2016.
- విజ్ఞాన నిధి వికీపీడియా.. — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:38 PM
- The article about Telugu Wikipedia appeared in Namaste Telangana on December 11, 2016.
- వికీపీడియాతో విజ్ఞాన విప్లవం — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:36 PM
- The article appeared in Andhra Bhoomi on December 11, 2016.
- Changing the typographic landscape of a country: one letter at a time — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:06 PM
- My interest in designing typefaces in Indian scripts grew out of years of disappointment with the way most Hindi books I came across looked. Apart from a few exceptions, they looked like poor cousins of English books. Whether it was a children’s story book or a novel or magazine, there was usually the same drab typeface.
- Pranay Raj record in 100 days-100 articles — by Pavan Santhosh — last modified Dec 19, 2016 06:16 PM
- Telugu Theatre scholar Pranay Raj Vangari from Motkur of Yadadri District, Telangana created record by completing a challenge that is famous worldwide in Wikimedia community - "100 Days-100 Articles". Pranay Raj is a theatre scholar and artist who used to travel length and breadth of Telangana & Andhra Pradesh for research and performances.
- వంద రోజులు.. వంద వ్యాసాలు - తెలుగు వికీపీడియాలో మోత్కూరు యువకుని రికార్డు (100 Days...100 Articles: Wikipedian from Motkur created record in Telugu Wikipedia) — by Pavan Santhosh — last modified Dec 18, 2016 03:09 PM
- Pranay Raj Vangari of Motkur Padmashali colony created record in Telugu Wikipedia. "100 Days- 100 Articles" is already going on in many languages worldwide and Pranay Raj took challenge in Telugu Wikipedia, completed it successfully. Pranay is theatre scholor. He started first article in this challenge on september 8 and continued to write articles on every day till December 16 to complete 100 articles. Pranay said that two other Telugu Wikipedians (Pavan and Meena) successfully completed the challenge and explained that he inspired from them to complete it. Telangana state language & cultural department director Mamidi Harikrishna felicitated Pranay in His chamber on this occasion and appreciated for his work.
- Wikipedian Pavan Santhosh says Telugu Wikipedians are creating Knowledge revolution (in Telugu) — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 17, 2016 01:35 AM
- Pavan Santhosh said that Telugu Wikipedians are creating a knowledge revolution in Telugu. On Sunday, December 12, 2016, in Golden Threshold, Abids, Telugu Wikipedians celebrated Telugu Wikipedia day. Telugu Wikipedians Pranay Raj and Meena Gayathri who successfully completed 100 Wikidays challenge successfully were given mementos and cut a cake on this occassion.
- Marathi Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Kolhapur — by Subodh Kulkarni — last modified Dec 16, 2016 11:34 PM
- On behalf of CIS-A2K team Subodh Kulkarni conducted a Marathi Wikipedia Edit-a-thon at Shivaji University in Kolhapur on 15 December 2016. The goal of the Wikipedia edit-a-thon was to build resources in the field of Political Science on Marathi Wikipedia and equip its participants with the process of contributing to Wikipedia, and to introduce it as a concept to them.
- Writing skills improve with Wikipedia editing — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 15, 2016 02:21 AM
- Pavan Santhosh said that contributing to Wikipedia and working in Wikimedia community improves our leadership qualities and writing skills. In an awareness session conducted about "You can edit Wikipedia" in JKC college, Guntur, Santhosh explained how to create and improve articles about Wikipedia in this program. Principal I.Nageswara Rao presided over this meeting.