The key mandate of the Access to Knowledge project at CIS (CIS-A2K) is to work towards catalysing the growth of the open knowledge movement in south Asia and in Indic languages. From September 2012, CIS has been actively involved in growing the open knowledge movement in India through a grant received from the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). The current focus of the CIS-A2K team spans over 5 language areas (Kannada, Konkani, Marathi, Odia, and Telugu), 2 community strengthening initiatives, and 6 stand-alone Wikimedia projects.
The mission of CIS-A2K is to catalyze the growth of open knowledge movement in South Asia and in Indic languages. Within the Wikimedia universe CIS-A2K specifically strives to further grow the Indic and English Wikimedia projects and communities by:
- supporting and serving the Indian Wikimedia communities in all possible ways;
- building institutional partnerships;
- bringing more content under free license;
- designing and executing projects with community participation;
- strengthening the Wikimedia volunteers; and
- fostering and enabling an appropriate legal and technological ecosystem.
Work plans and other programme documents can be accessed here:
- Work Plan July 2014 - June 2015
- Work Plan April 2013 - June 2014
- Work Plan 2012 - 2013
- Work Plan 2011 - 2012
- Details of Programs run on English and Indian language Wikipedias since 2011
- Access To Knowledge Announcement and FAQ - 30 July 2012
Activities and Feedback
- Workshops, Meetups, Edit-a-thons and other Events
- Blog Entries
- Newsletters, Reports, and Bulletins
- Wikisource:Internship Project at New Law College, Pune — by Subodh Kulkarni — last modified Mar 28, 2017 03:37 PM
- This Wiki - internship project is being conducted for New Law College (Pune),under the guidance of Prof.Dr.Mukund Sarda, Dean and Principal of NLC by CIS A2K as part of this project at en wikisource; teams of students will acomplish proof reading, validation, compilation annotation etc. of Indian Laws and to begin with Copyright laws and Intellectual property laws at Portal:Copyright law/Copyright law of India.
- Women’s History Month: Sambad collaborates with Odia Wikipedia for a Two Day Edit-a-thon — by Sailesh Patnaik — last modified Mar 17, 2017 05:36 AM
- Sambad's 100 Women Edit-a-thon: Two day edit-a-thon to increase quantity and quality of women-related articles on Odia Wikipedia
- "Marathi Bhasha Gaurav Din" celebrations in Maharashtra — by Manasa Rao — last modified Mar 10, 2017 05:36 AM
- Marathi Language Day was recently commemorated across the state of Maharashtra to celebrate the Marathi language, its literature and culture.
- WikiTungi: Bhubaneswar City Wiki Community Turns 1 — by Sailesh Patnaik — last modified Feb 27, 2017 01:42 AM
- The Odia Wikipedia’s WikiTungi is an attempt at building a community of Wikimedians at the city level.
- Marathi Wikisource & Digitisation Workshop — by Subodh Kulkarni — last modified Mar 05, 2017 02:34 AM
- A Marathi Wikipedia workshop was organized by the Centre for Internet & Society (CIS-A2K) team on February 17 and 18, 2017. Maharashtra Granthottejak Sanstha, Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited and Jnana Prabhodini were the co-organizers. The discussions were held at Jnana Prabodhini, Sadashiv Peth, Pune on February 17 and C Trade Tower, Senapati Bapat Road, Pune on February 18, 2017.
- Only 8.5pc of Wikipedia Editors are Women. How do we fix the Gender Gap on the Internet? — by Ting-Yi Chang — last modified Feb 09, 2017 02:49 AM
- Women-related articles are generally shorter, more prone to deletion, and more likely to be peripheral pieces under male-centric articles.
- Marathi Wikipedia Edit-a-thon — by Subodh Kulkarni — last modified Mar 05, 2017 01:31 AM
- A Marathi Wikipedia edit-a-thon was conducted by the Centre for Internet & Society (CIS-A2K) on February 5, 2017 at Vigyan Ashram, Pabal in Pune.
- Odia Wikipedia and Orientation Training Programme Jan 31, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 02:00 PM — Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Dhenkanal, — by Prasad Krishna
- An Odia Wikipedia orientation and training programme is being organized by the Centre for Internet & Society's (CIS-A2K) team on 31 January 2017 at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Dhenkanal in Odisha.
- WikiSangamotsavam 2016 — by Manasa Rao — last modified Feb 06, 2017 12:47 PM
- The Malayalam Wikipedia community jointly held its anniversary celebrations and annual gathering in Kasaragod district, Kerala from 26 to 28 December, 2016. The Centre for Internet and Society was invited to partake in the event.
- Telugu Wikipedia Stall at Hyderabad Book Fair — by Manasa Rao — last modified Feb 06, 2017 12:48 PM
- Telugu Wikipedia community put up a stall at the Hyderabad Book Fair in December welcoming members of the public to join as editors on the regional encyclopaedia.