The key mandate of the Access to Knowledge project at CIS (CIS-A2K) is to work towards catalysing the growth of the open knowledge movement in south Asia and in Indic languages. From September 2012, CIS has been actively involved in growing the open knowledge movement in India through a grant received from the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). The current focus of the CIS-A2K team spans over 5 language areas (Kannada, Konkani, Marathi, Odia, and Telugu), 2 community strengthening initiatives, and 6 stand-alone Wikimedia projects.
The mission of CIS-A2K is to catalyze the growth of open knowledge movement in South Asia and in Indic languages. Within the Wikimedia universe CIS-A2K specifically strives to further grow the Indic and English Wikimedia projects and communities by:
- supporting and serving the Indian Wikimedia communities in all possible ways;
- building institutional partnerships;
- bringing more content under free license;
- designing and executing projects with community participation;
- strengthening the Wikimedia volunteers; and
- fostering and enabling an appropriate legal and technological ecosystem.
Work plans and other programme documents can be accessed here:
- Work Plan July 2014 - June 2015
- Work Plan April 2013 - June 2014
- Work Plan 2012 - 2013
- Work Plan 2011 - 2012
- Details of Programs run on English and Indian language Wikipedias since 2011
- Access To Knowledge Announcement and FAQ - 30 July 2012
Activities and Feedback
- Workshops, Meetups, Edit-a-thons and other Events
- Blog Entries
- Newsletters, Reports, and Bulletins
- Only 8.5pc of Wikipedia Editors are Women. How do we fix the Gender Gap on the Internet? — by Ting-Yi Chang — last modified Feb 09, 2017 02:49 AM
- Women-related articles are generally shorter, more prone to deletion, and more likely to be peripheral pieces under male-centric articles.
- Odia Wikipedia and Orientation Training Programme Jan 31, 2017 from 10:00 AM to 02:00 PM — Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Dhenkanal, — by Prasad Krishna
- An Odia Wikipedia orientation and training programme is being organized by the Centre for Internet & Society's (CIS-A2K) team on 31 January 2017 at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Dhenkanal in Odisha.
- WikiSangamotsavam 2016 — by Manasa Rao — last modified Feb 06, 2017 12:47 PM
- The Malayalam Wikipedia community jointly held its anniversary celebrations and annual gathering in Kasaragod district, Kerala from 26 to 28 December, 2016. The Centre for Internet and Society was invited to partake in the event.
- Telugu Wikipedia Stall at Hyderabad Book Fair — by Manasa Rao — last modified Feb 06, 2017 12:48 PM
- Telugu Wikipedia community put up a stall at the Hyderabad Book Fair in December welcoming members of the public to join as editors on the regional encyclopaedia.
- Telugu Wikipedia Stall at Rajahmundry Book Fair — by Manasa Rao — last modified Feb 06, 2017 12:48 PM
- Telugu Wikipedia community put up a stall at the three day Rajahmundry Book Fair from 20 - 23 November 2016.
- Mini Workshop on Tools: Wikipedia Monthly Meetup, Hyderabad — by Manasa Rao and Pavan Santhosh — last modified Feb 06, 2017 12:49 PM
- Telugu Wikipedia community held its monthly meet-up in Hyderabad on 28 August 2016.
- Ongoing Proof-reading Effort by ALC Student Wikimedians in Telugu Wikisource — by Pavan Santosh & Ting-Yi Chang — last modified Dec 30, 2016 11:00 AM
- Student Wikimedians at Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada formatted and proof-read more than 1,900 folios in Telugu Wikisource during the last few weeks of November (2016). Each day, a group of twenty students uses the lab facility provided by the college after regular classes to make necessary formatting changes and fix spelling mistakes in the folios of books available in Telugu Wikisource. Till date, the student Wikipedians have proofread eight books.
- Wikipedia Event in Mangalore — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:43 PM
- The article was published by Vijaya Karnataka on December 18, 2016.
- విజ్ఞాన నిధి వికీపీడియా.. — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:38 PM
- The article about Telugu Wikipedia appeared in Namaste Telangana on December 11, 2016.
- వికీపీడియాతో విజ్ఞాన విప్లవం — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Dec 20, 2016 04:36 PM
- The article appeared in Andhra Bhoomi on December 11, 2016.