|History of the Internet
This module will cover brief history of the Internet, its early stages and growth. It will also cover origins of internet in India and its impact on the Indian GDP. It will also focus on hot topics/debates surrounding the Internet.
- Early Stages and Growth (one page bibliography with annotations)
- Current Issues and Debates
- History of the Internet in India
|Values of the Internet
This module will cover various principles that underpinned the creation of the Internet, the threats they face and the need for a truly “open internet”.
- Accessibility (WCAG, Accessible formats, etc.)
- Access across various demographics
- Access to Knowledge
- Universal Access
- Quality of Access
- Freedom of Speech
- Copyright and fair use on Internet
- Internet Censorship
|Technology (Infrastructure, Technologies & Modes of Access)
Description of the internet infrastructure, purpose and function of an ISP, advantages and disadvantages of different modes of Internet access.
Getting Connected to the Internet
- Internet Infrastructure
- Backbone, Network Access Points, Points of Presence, Internet Servers, Remote Access Servers and End user devices/tools.
- Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
- ISP – Role and Function. Choosing an ISP
- Network Connections and Mode of Access (Wired & Wireless)
- Spectrum Fundamentals
- Leased Circuits, Dial-up Access
- Broadband Internet Access: Cable Modern Technologies and DSL Technologies
- Wireless Internet Access
- Internet Protocols
- Internet Protocol (IP), Packet Switching, Internet Routing, Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), Client Server Computing
- Naming Computers
- IP addresses, Naming a computer, Domain Names, Domain Name System (DNS)
|World Wide Web
Overview of the information and search tools which are available on the internet and security and privacy issues.
- Introduction to the World Wide Web, Browsing the Web, Web browsers, URLs, Search Engines, Ecommerce, Advertising, Blocking offensive websites
- Security and Privacy Issues – Cookies, Firewalls, Security implications of browser cache and history.
|Basics of E-mail
- How email works, How do you get your email?, Email Protocols (SMTP,POP,IMAP), SPAM/Phishing
Communicating on the Internet
- Audio and Video on Internet, Webcast & Podcast, Phone and Fax on Internet, Skype and other chat tools, eLearning, Social Networks, e-Government, Wikipedia
Risks and Security in Internet Access
- Viruses, Firewalls, Password security
- Secure Communication -Digital Certificates, Encryption, Secure Protocols (HTTPS).
- Netiquette, Hacking, Denial of Service
|Government Bodies, International Institutions and Other Mechanisms (Snehashish Ghosh)
|This module will cover the various organisations and mechanisms involved in formulating regulations, policy and standards both at the national and international level. It will also include domestic tribunal specialising in cases dealing with telecommunication and internet services and other regulatory bodies.
- ITU (ITU-R, ITU-T, ITU-D and ITU Development)
- ICANN (including bodies such Internet Assigned Numbers Authority)
- WIPO (Special emphasis on copyright and WIPO Internet Treaties)
- IETF (special emphasis on IESG and other bodies under IETF and open standards)
- W3C (Accessibility Standards, formats, etc)
Mechanisms and Multi-Stakeholder Forums
- IIGC (India)
- Other Bodies (IEEE and CSTD)
- Case Study (1)
- Case Study (2)
Government and Regulatory Bodies in India
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (Special emphasis on Copyright)
- Ministry of Communication and Information Technology
- Department of Electronics and Information Technology
- Department of Telecommunication (Powers and Functions)
- Telecom Commission
- TRAI (Powers and Functions including TRAI Recommendations and Consultations)
- TDSAT (Including important decisions)
- Wireless Planning and Co-ordination Wing
- USOF, USOF Charter
- Government Internet Service Providers (BSNL and MTNL)
Policies and Regulations
This module will cover various policies and regulation in force and their evolution and objective along with different mechanism set under such law. It will also cover policies regarding universal access in India as well as internationally.
Acts and Other Legislations
Licensing framework for the Telecommunication Services – A Historical Overview
Spectrum Management (With reference to bandwidth allocation for broadband and mobile data services)
The initial process of selection of operators for allocation of spectrum
Selection of Band and Criterion for further allocation of spectrum
Time taken to allocate spectrum
Spectrum Re-farming and Reallocation
Rules, Orders, Guidelines and Regulations
- Information Technology Rules (Content Regulation, intermediary liability, etc.)
- TRAI Tariff Orders
- TRAI Regulations and Directions
- DoT Guidelines (Guideline on Issuing of ISP license)
|Ownership and Distribution in the Market
This module will cover ownership and market distribution.
- Investment and Ownership in Telecom and Broadband Market
- Competition in the Market (Wire Access and Wireless Access)
- Revenue Generation in the Market
This module will cover Internet users, demographics and usage patterns.
- Indian Internet Users & Demographics, digital divide
- Urban Internet
- Rural Internet
- Socio-Economic Classification of users
- Demographic Segments – (Men, Women (working, non working, rural), Youth (digital natives), Elderly, Persons with disabilities, etc.)
- Emerging trends in Internet Usage
- Internet Access Points (Home PC, Internet Café, Mobile Internet, Common Service Centres, etc.)
Overall Texts - 78
The content shall be made easier to understand and the relevance of the content shall be demonstrated by real-life examples and case studies wherever applicable.