Sunil was elected an Ashoka fellow in 1999 to 'explore the democratic potential of the Internet' and was also granted a Sarai FLOSS fellowship in 2003. Between June 2004 and June 2007, Sunil also managed the International Open Source Network, a project of United Nations Development Programme's Asia-Pacific Development Information Programme serving 42 countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
Between September 2007 and June 2008, he managed ENRAP an electronic network of International Fund for Agricultural Development projects in the Asia-Pacific facilitated and co-funded by International Development Research Centre, Canada.
- To find the list of major publications authored/co-authored by Sunil, click here
- Click on the links below to find the op-ed/columns/articles authored by Sunil in various newspapers:
- Patented Games (Economic Times, March 8, 2012)
- Photocopying the past (Indian Express, September 2, 2011)
- Do we need the Aadhar scheme? (Business Standard, February 1, 2012)
- Sense and Censorship (Indian Express, January 20, 2012)
- Privacy and Security can Co-Exist (Mail Today, June 21, 2011)
- Snooping Can Lead to Data Abuse (Mail Today, June 9, 2011)
- The Quixotic Fight to Clean up the Web (Tehelka, Vol 9, Issue 04, January 28, 2012)
- US Clampdown Worse than the Great Firewall (Tehelka, Volume 8, Issue 50, December 17, 2011)
- That’s the unkindest cut, Mr Sibal (Deccan Chronicle, December 11, 2011).
- Do You Want to be Watched? (Pragati, June 8, 2011)
- Big Brother is Watching You (Deccan Herald, June 1, 2011)
- We are anonymous, we are legion (Hindu, April 18, 2011)