Innovation and creativity are fostered through openness and collaboration. The advent of the Internet radically defined what it means to be open and collaborative. The Internet itself is built upon open standards and free/libre/open source software. Our work in the Openness programme focuses on open data, especially open government data, open access, open education resources, open knowledge in Indic languages, open media, and open technologies and standards - hardware and software. We approach openness as a cross-cutting principle for knowledge production and distribution, and not as a thing-in-itself.
- Open Data Intermediaries in Developing Countries - A Synthesis Report, François van Schalkwyk, Michael Caňares, Sumandro Chattapadhyay, and Alexander Andrason, June 2015.
- Opening Government: A Guide to Best Practice in Transparency, Accountability and Civic Engagement across the Public Sector, Transparency & Accountability Initiative, 21 July 2011.
- Open Government Data in India (v2), Nisha Thompson, 19 August 2011.
- Open Government Data Study, Glover Wright, Pranesh Prakash, Sunil Abraham and Nishant Shah, Transparency & Accountability Initiative, 20 May 2011
- Critical Point of View: A Wikipedia Reader, Geert Lovink and Nathaniel Tkacz (eds), Institute of Network Cultures, 9 May 2011.
- Open Access to Scholarly Literature in India: A Status Report: Call for Comments, Prof. Subbiah Arunachalam and Madhan Muthu, April 2011.
- The Online Video Environment in India - A Survey Report, Siddharth Chadha, Benjamin Moskowitz and Pranesh Prakash, iCommons and the Open Video Alliance, October 2010.
- People are Knowledge – Experimenting with Oral Citations on Wikipedia, directed by Priya Sen and Zen Marie, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 July 2011.
- Comments on the draft National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy, submitted to the Department of Science and Technology, June 2011.
- CIS Comments on the Interoperability Framework for e-Governance (Phase I), submitted to the Department of Information & Technology, January 2011.
- Workshop on Open Data for Human Development, organised with UNDP India and Akvo to support officials from the Government of Sikkim to draft an implementation plan for the state level open data policy, June 2015.
- Iraqi Public Data Scenario Workshop: A Summary, notes from a workshop organised with UNDP Iraq to support officials of the Government of Iraq to draft an open data policy and build usage scenarios for open government data, October 2012.