CIS Internship Programme
The Centre for Internet and Society (CIS) provides opportunities for students enrolled in graduate programmes to undertake internship at its offices in Bangalore and Delhi. Eligible candidates are welcome to participate in our internship programme. Please continue to read through for more information about the process.
To apply, send in your resume with two writing samples that demonstrate your research and analytical skills, along with a brief note (not more than one page) on research topic(s) you are interested in. Applications without resume, writing samples, or with spelling errors in cover page, will be rejected, and such candidates wouldn't receive any calls for interview.
Academic Background: We accept candidates from diverse educational and professional backgrounds, ranging from public policy and law to mathematics to arts and humanities.
Technical Skills: Need to have knowledge of LibreOffice.
Languages and Level of Fluency: Must be fluent in English (reading, writing and conversing), and preferably in one Indian language too.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will students be required to take a considerable amount of initiative on his/her own, or will s/he be assigned specific projects with direct supervision at all times?
Students are required to take considerable amount of initiative on his/her own without direct supervision.
- Will the intern have a choice of projects/tasks on which to work or will they be assigned specific projects/tasks?
The interns can choose from amongst these: Access to Knowledge (IP Reforms), Openness (Open Access to Law, Open Standards, Open Government Data, FOSS, Open Education), Internet Governance (Information Technology Act, Privacy and Freedom of Expression), Telecom, and Researchers at Work (Internet histories, digital knowledge, data systems, web politics, and networked expressions).
- What we do and what type of work will the interns be responsible?
We do policy research and give feedback to various state departments on programmes dealing with Access to Knowledge (IP Reforms), Openness (Open Access, Open Content, Open Video, Open Standards, Openness, Free and Open Source Software and Open Data), Internet Governance (Free Speech and Expression, Privacy and IT Act and Rules), Telecom, and Researchers at Work.
Interns are expected to have sound knowledge (or a willingness to learn) Indian and international laws, have public speaking skills (including interaction with the media), a willingness to travel (nationally), able to conduct research on the topics listed above, able to draft documents that can be submitted to various ministries such as the Department of Telecommunications, the Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Human Resource Development, etc., and also write blog entries of their experience from participating in workshops and other events organized by us.
- What would be the location of internship?
Bengaluru or Delhi.
- Will the student need to travel to other locations/cities/countries during his/her internship?
This depends upon the requirements of the project.
- If so, to where will the student need to travel and will the traveling costs be covered/reimbursed?
- What is the duration period of an internship?
A minimum of four weeks. However, we prefer applications for a longer period.
- Will the organization pay for housing costs?
- Will the organization be able to provide information on how to find a house?
- Will the organization provide meals?
- Will the organization pay or provide local transport?
No, unless it is official.
- Will the organization provide for pick up and drop off at airport?
- Will an honorarium be provided be provided to the interns, and if yes, how much?
No, unless the candidate is really deserving.
- Will the organization provide medical insurance to interns?
No. We do not provide medical insurance to interns.
- Would the interns need to undertake a phone/Skype interview before the final selection?
Contact Person: Vidushi Marda, Programme Officer, vidushi [at] cis-india [dot] org
Address: No. 194, 2nd 'C' Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage, Bengaluru 560071, Karnataka
Phone: +91 80 4092 6283
Fax: +91 80 2535 0955
Location on Google Map: http://j.mp/cis-blr
Contact Person: Nisha Kumar, Administrator, nisha [at] cis-india [dot] org
Address: First Floor, B 1/8, Hauz Khas, after Crunch, near G Block Market, New Delhi 110016
Phone: + 91 11 4050 3285
Location on Google Map: http://j.mp/cis-delhi