Access to Knowledge Bulletin — June & July 2013
A2K newsletter for the months of June and July, 2013.
Indian Language Wikipedia Statistics April to September 2013 (by T. Vishnu Vardhan; Nitika Tandon and Subhashish Panigrahi June 30, 2013): The Access to Knowledge team carried out quantitative analysis to identify trends and growth patterns in Indian Language Wikipedias over the time period from September 2012 to April 2013. Though it is difficult for the A2K programme to take direct credit for the growth or lack of it the programme's support has been one of the key factors in impacting the growth of the Wikimedia projects and communities in India since the commencement of the project. Primary focus areas of the statistics are: growth of articles, Active editors, Monthly growth of new editors, Monthly pageviews and New editors statistics from outreach events organized or supported by A2K programme. Link: http://cis-india.org/a2k/blog/indian-language-wikipedia-statistics
- Wikipedia editing workshop for participants from 10 civil society institutions from across India at the Institute of Internet and Society, Bangalore (Organized by the A2K team members T. Vishnu Vardhan and Subhashish Panigrahi, June 9, 2013)
- A 'Kannada' Wikipedia Workshop for Bloggers (organized by CIS-A2K Team, Suchitra, Bengaluru, June 23, 2013). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja conducted the workshop. Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/kannada-wikipedia-workshop-bloggers
- Digital Humanities for Indian Higher Education (co-organised by HEIRA-CSCS, Tumkur University, CILHE-TISS and CCS, Indian Institute of Science, July 13, 2013). Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/events/digital-humanities-for-indian-higher-education
- A Kannada Wikipedia Workshop (organized by CIS-A2K team, July 21, 2013, Hubli). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja gave training to the participants on Wikipedia. Leading newspapers like Times of India, Vijaya Karnataka, Deccan Herald, VijayaVani, Prajavani, Samyukta Karnataka and HosaDiganta covered the event. Scanned versions of the published articles can be viewed here (http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/hubli-workshop-press-coverage.zip). Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/kannada-wikipedia-workshop-at-hubli
- Telugu Wikipedia Training Workshop (organized by CIS-A2K Team in collaboration with Telugu Jati Nava Nirmana Samstha, Hyderabad, July 21, 2013). Dr. Rajasekhar (Telugu WP admin) and T. Vishnu Vardhan conducted the workshop. Link: http://bit.ly/13Z00Ue
- A Kannada Wikipedia Workshop at Sagara (organized by CIS-A2K team, Sagara, July 28, 2013). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja gave a talk on Wikipedia and Kannada Wikipedia. Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/kannada-wiki-workshop-at-sagara ● Odia Wikipedia Training Workshop at the Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (Organized by Odia Wikipedian Gorvachove Pothal and supported by CIS-A2K programme, July 26, 2013). Event link: http://or.wikipedia.org/s/gqw
- Telugu Wiki Academy at Centre for Good Governance (co-organised by A2K team and Telugu Wikipedia community, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad, April 9, 2013). T. Vishnu Vardhan was a speaker at this event. Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/telegu-wiki-academy-at-centre-for-good-governance
- First Telugu Wiki Meetup @ CIS, Bangalore (co-organised by Telugu Wikipedia community and A2K on June 2, 2013). S.J. Veera conducted the meet-up. Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/telegu-wiki-meet-up-at-cis-june-2-2013
- Second monthly Telugu Wiki Meetup @ CIS, Bangalore (co-organized by Telugu Wikipedia community and A2K on July 13, 2013). Event link: http://goo.gl/zVueaO
- Telugu Wikipedia Meetup @ Theatre Outreach Unit, Hyderabad (co-organised by TE WP community, ToU and A2K on July 21, 2013). T. Vishnu Vardhan spoke on Copyright-Creative Commons and Wikipedia. Link: http://bit.ly/14ctSxr
Upcoming / Ongoing Events
- A Workshop on Posting Articles in Kannada on Wikipedia (organised by the Centre for Proficiency Development Placement Service, University of Mysore, CPDPS premises, Manasagangotri, August 6, 2013). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja will conduct a workshop. The announcement (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/stress-on-posting-articles-on-kannada-wikipedia/article4980552.ece) was made in an article by R. Krishna Kumar in the Hindu on August 2, 2013. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/hindu-r-krishna-kumar-august-2-2013-stress-on-posting-articles-on-kannada-wikipedia
- Wikipedia Training workshop for students at the St. Xavier College, Goa Wikipedia
- Training workshop for students from Library Science Department at the Goa University, Goa Wikipedia
- Training workshop for students from Konkani language Department at the Goa University, Goa
- Free Software (organized by Free Software Movement of Karnataka in partnership with Jnana Vikas Institute of Technology, Bidadi, July 24, 2013). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja presented about Wikipedia in this event. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/free-software
- Institute of Internet and Society, Bangalore (participated by A2K team, T. Vishnu Vardhan presented about “Building Knowledge Bases and Platforms via Mass Collaboration on the Internet” Presentation Link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Building_Knowledge_Bases_and_Platforms_via_Mass_Collaboration_on_the_Internet.pdf, Event Link: http://cis-india.org/telecom/knowledge-repository-on-internet-access/institute-on-internet-and-society
Media Coverage (including videos)
- A Feature on Wikipedia and Telugu Wikipedians (HMTV, May 30-31, 2013). Watch the video: http://cis-india.org/news/hmtv-may-30-2013-wikipedia-and-telegu-wikipedians
- Wikipedia Live Phone-in Programme (HMTV, June 1, 2013). T. Vishnu Vardhan took part in a one hour live phone-in programme on Wikipedia. Video: http://cis-india.org/news/wikipedia-live-phone-in-programme
- Wiki donors (by Akhila Seetharaman, TimeOut Bengaluru, June 21, 2013). T. Vishnu Vardhan and Dr. U.B. Pavanaja are quoted. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/timeout-bengaluru-akhila-seetharaman-june-21-2013-wiki-donors
- Kannada Wikipedia Workshop at Hasan (Prajavani, June 5, 2013). Dr. U.B. Pavanaja conducted the workshop on June 4, 2013. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/prajavani-june-5-2013-kannada-wikipedia-workshop-coverage
- Kannada Wikipedia Workshop at Hasan (Samyukta Karnataka, June 5, 2013). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja conducted the workshop on June 4, 2013. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/samyukta-karnataka-june-5-2013-kannada-wikipedia-workshop-coverage
- Kannada Wikipedia Workshop at Hasan (Vijaya Karnataka, June 5, 2013). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja conducted the workshop on June 4, 2013. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/vijaya-karnataka-june-5-2013-report-of-kannada-wikipedia-workshop-in-hasan
- Wiki Rahasya: Panel Discussion (Suvarna News, June 13, 2013). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja participated in a panel discussion around Wikipedia in general and about Kannada Wikipedia in specific. Link: http://cis-india.org/news/suvarna-news-june-13-2013-wiki-rahasya-panel-discussion
- Wikipedia Visual Editor (by Nitika Tandon, June 27, 2013). Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/visual-editor.pdf/view
- My First Wikipedia Training Workshop – Theatre Outreach Unit, University of Hyderabad (Organized by A2K team, attended by T. Vishnu Vardhan) Link: http://cis-india.org/openness/blog/my-first-wikipedia-training-workshop Wikimedia Foundation has funded A2K to anchor the growth of Wikimedia movement in India. The A2K team consists of three members based in Bangalore: T. Vishnu Vardhan, Dr. U.B. Pavanaja and Subhashish Panigrahi and one member Nitika Tandon in Delhi. Archives of our newsletters can be accessed here (http://cis-india.org/about/newsletters). Wikipedians from various communities can request for outreach programs, technical bugs, logistics-merchandize and media, public relations and communications at http://bit.ly/TOcXId.
The Centre for Internet and Society is a non-profit research organization that works on policy issues relating to freedom of expression, privacy, accessibility for persons with disabilities, access to knowledge and IPR reform, and openness (including open government, FOSS, open standards, etc.), and engages in academic research on digital natives and digital humanities.
Follow us elsewhere
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CISA2K
- CIS group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cis.india
- Visit us at: https://cis-india.org
Please help us defend consumer / citizen rights on the Internet! Write a cheque in favour of ‘The Centre for Internet and Society’ and mail it to us at No. 194, 2nd ‘C’ Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage, Bengaluru – 5600 71.
Request for Collaboration
We invite researchers, practitioners, and theoreticians, both organisationally and as individuals, to collaboratively engage with Internet and society and improve our understanding of this new field.
- To discuss the research collaborations, write to Sunil Abraham, Executive Director, at [email protected] or Nishant Shah, Director – Research, at [email protected].
- To discuss collaborations on Indic language wikipedia, write to T. Vishnu Vardhan, Programme Director, A2K, at [email protected]
CIS is grateful to its donors, Wikimedia Foundation, Ford Foundation, Privacy International, UK, Hans Foundation and the Kusuma Trust which was founded by Anurag Dikshit and Soma Pujari, philanthropists of Indian origin, for its core funding and support for most of its projects.