Gaming and Gold Blog
by Ben Bas — last modified Apr 16, 2013 08:52 AM
- Attentional Capital in Online Gaming : The Currency of Survival — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Aug 21, 2011 11:29 AM
- This blog post by Arun Menon discusses the concepts of production, labour and race in virtual worlds and their influence on the production of attention as a currency. An attempt is made to locate attentional capital, attentional repositories and attention currencies within gaming to examine 'attention currencies and its trade and transactions in virtual worlds. A minimal collection of attention currencies are placed as central and as a pre-requisite for survival in MMOs in much the same way that real currency become a necessity for survival. The approach is to locate attentional capital through different perspectives as well as examine a few concepts around virtual worlds.
- The Attention Economy - A Brief Introduction — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Aug 21, 2011 12:10 PM
- This post examines attention economy as a brief prelude to a paper and monograph to be published on it. It examines the current theses on attention economy and a few approaches to reading attention economy in gaming besides foregrounding the attention economy and its functions and influence in MMORPGs.
- India Game Developer Summit Bangalore 2010 — by Arun Menon — last modified Mar 09, 2010 04:55 PM
- The India Game Developer Conference held at Nimhans Convention Centre on the 27th of February, 2010 was attended by Arun Menon who is working on The Gaming and Gold Project at The Centre for Internet and Society. The Developer forum brought together game developers from different sectors of the Game Production Cycle, with hardware manufacturers like Nvidia demonstrating their latest 3d technology and Software developers like Crytek and Adobe demonstrating the latest in developer tools for creating and editing games on multiple platforms.
- Narrative and Gameplay in Role Playing Games — by Prasad Krishna — last modified Mar 13, 2012 10:43 AM
- Not all games tell stories but narratives, gameplay, and their relational attributes are a relevant shift observed in the gaming scene, Arun Menon finds out.
- The Elements of Role Playing Games — by Arun Menon — last modified Aug 02, 2011 05:58 AM
- This article, the first in a three part series addresses the definitions of role-playing games (RPGs) and their elements, the integration of elements from other genres facilitating to what might lead to the hybridization of genres and the relation between online and offline games as well as solo gaming with respect to the ‘Alone Together’ phenomenon.
- Gaming and Gold - An Introduction — by Arun Menon — last modified Aug 02, 2011 05:58 AM
- Arun Menon in this first entry, provides a brief description of the area of study and the questions that need to be engaged with in the course of this study.